Sunday, October 21, 2012

How to Sound Pretentious

Dear Friend,

If you are ever in a situation where you are surrounded by people who think they are better than you, have no fear. This post will help you sound just as pretentious as they are. Below are a list of words, their fancy synonyms, and how to use them in a sentence.

Small= quaint
"Yesterday, I enjoyed a quaint cup of tea."

Good= quality
"The new Taylor Swift album is such quality." (it actually is, so you should check it out)

Wine= vino
"Sometimes all you need is a good glass of vino." 

Instagram= insta
"Did you see the picture I posted on insta?" 

Consider= ponder
"At nights, before going to bed, I like to ponder about my day." 

Therefore= ergo
"She went on a long run this morning. Ergo, she is fast asleep."

Bathroom= lavatory
"Excuse me, ma'am. Where might I find a lavatory?" 

While= whilst
"Whilst you spend time with all your new friends, I am home alone eating chocolate and watching the Seattle rain." 

I chose= I opted for
"Due to the peer pressure of my healthy friends, I opted for the gluten free cupcakes." 

Correct= valid
"That is a valid interpretation of that poem." 

There are many more pretentious words out there, but these are ones we've heard people say a lot. If you know of any other ones, please share them in the comments or let us know. We would love the entertainment!

"The limits of my language means the limits of my world." -Ludwig Wittgenstein 

Yours truly,
Kylie and Catherine


2 comments:

  1. Fascinating. I would first comment that you should "ponder upon" or even just prepositionally "ponder" rather than "ponder about" something. But this is a great collection. Additionally, I would encourage the following words and phrases:

    many=myriad. Note: some people say "a myriad of" and this is so wrong I don't even know what these people are on. So don't do that.
    "We stumbled upon a room full of myriad elaborate balloon animals. What their purpose was there, I can hardly say."

    absolutely/definitely/without a doubt = indubitably.
    "Shall we venture forth to yon In-n-Out burger?" "Indubitably."

    No way! = The deuce you say! I cannot encourage the use of this enough. It has improved countless conversations.
    "As I understand it, the photograph depicts the candidate in a Cabo haunt with Big Bird." "The deuce you say!"

    Historically inaccurate = anachronistic.
    "I found the production of A Midsummer Night's Dream compelling, but admitted that the faerie using an iPhone in Act II struck me as anachronistic."

    Additionally, here's a list of awesome words to use in literature papers:
    mimetic: corresponding to real life. The noun is mimesis, the accurate "mimic"ry of real life. (The Harry Potter books do not accurately represent the workings of the British Government, but complaints of lack of mimesis in a text with witches and wizard can only be described as misplaced.)
    hermeneutics: the science of interpreting texts. (One should not get caught up in the hermeneutics of Twilight, but instead should relax and allow the story to sweep them away like a broom sweeping a floor clean of the clutter of sanity and mature thought.)
    semiotics: the study of signs and symbols. A fantastic premise to go into ridiculous detail about friggin' anything. (The semiotics of sweat in films gives rise to a question of whether or not the visibility of stress of an individual inspires affection of a character.)
    antithetical: opposite a point (The voters' advocacy of cutting taxes is antithetical to the movement towards balancing the budget)

    ReplyDelete